Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Witch & Her Witch Hat


If you've waited until the last minute to make a costume, keep reading because this is an easy, one hour witch costume that will be a crowd pleaser.

This granddaughter, pictured above, inherited the The Very Hungry Caterpillar costume from her cousin.  The costume wasn't what she wanted because while she was visiting me a few weeks ago, she would look at me and say, "Dama, do you know what a witch says?"  Then she'd say, "Look at me, look at me," and I'd look at her and she'd say, "He he he heeee....Dama, I want to be a witch!" 

How could I deny this darling girl, who can not pronounce her "G's," from having a witch costume? The next day, this little helper became my "pin" girl and handed me pins and more pins as we refashioned this old black lace dress of mine into her new witch costume:




To make this costume, you'll need:
  • An old black dress or skirt
  • A long sleeve black knit top
  • A dollar store witch hat
To make this costume, here's what I did:
  • Cut off the lace skirt from the dress. 
  • Cut off 3" from the bottom of the black shirt.  
  • Baste over the top of the skirt black, glittery tulle. 
  • Add gathering stitches all around the skirt.
  • Pull the gathering stitches until the skirt is the same size as the bottom of the knit shirt. 
  • Pin the skirt to the shirt.
  • Sew the shirt to the skirt.

The witch dress is complete. Wasn't that easy? 


To glamorize a dollar store hat:
  • From the inside of the hat, tack in place leftover tulle.
  • Tack or hot glue bright orange ribbon and stripes of black glitter tulle to the side of the hat.
  • Tie the ribbon and then the tulle into a knot.
 
I'm not sure why the umbrella is in the above photo but I do know she loves her "zoo" umbrella and who knows, she just may need an umbrella on Halloween night.  I know, I used one quite often when I was a child but I grew up in the rainy part of Oregon and my costumes were never this much fun!  Year after year, I usually dressed as a hobo.  Yup, pretty boring costume. So, this little witch is much cuter. 



In an hour, this witch costume was ready for this happy little witch whom I'm positive will enjoy this costume and laugh her cute little witch laugh whenever she wears it.  Happy Halloween everyone...he he heeee!  xoxo Grandma

No comments: