Monday, April 28, 2014

Heirloom Baby Blessing Dress

I made this heirloom baby blessing dress and slip 35 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest child.  Way back then, I didn't know if the baby would be a boy or girl.  I embroidered on the bodice and ruffled a lot of fabric, adding a little bit of lace, and made French seams. All of these steps took hours of work.  Well, that first child turned out to be a boy, of course, so I tucked this dress away to perhaps use for another child. Fast forward two years, and I gave birth to twin girls. Then I pulled it out again four years later for my youngest daughter to wear on her blessing day.  
More than thirty years later when I learned that my oldest daughter (two minutes older than her twin sister, to be exact) was having a girl, I once again pulled this dress out of storage, washed and pressed it and took it across the country to my daughter so she could have her little one wear it on her blessing day. Isn't it beautiful? It helps that the baby wearing it is about as cute as they come.
All photos were taken by Mikael Monson, you can find her work at: http://www.mikaelmonsonphotography.com/
You can also find this photographers work at: https://www.facebook.com/mikaelmonsonphotography
I'm hoping my daughter will hold onto this dress so it can be worn for a few more generations.  The moral of this post is that when you sew a classic garment, you never know who will end up wearing it years (or decades) later. 

xoxo Grandma 
Linked to:  The Dedicated House, Creating My Way to Success, Naptime Creations, Mother's Niche

No comments: